Call for Papers: IFVCR Network Conference “You Talkin’ to Me?”: Dialogue and Communication in Film
5th–6th June 2017
You are invited to submit a proposal to the conference ‘You Talkin’ to Me?’: Dialogue and Communication in Film, organized by the Interdisciplinary Film and Visual Culture Research (IFVCR) Network. The conference will take place at Cardiff University in the School of Journalism, Media and Cultural Studies on 5th–6th June 2017.
The aim of the conference is to provide a platform for researchers and practitioners to present new research and developments relating to the comparatively underrepresented areas of dialogue and communication in film.
We are interested in language-centered readings of films and we encourage novel theoretical perspectives and methodologies for the analysis of film dialogue.
All are welcome to submit proposals, but we are particularly keen to receive submissions from PhD students.
Topics may include but are not limited to:
- Tools for film dialogue analysis
- Functions of dialogue in film
- Characterization through dialogue
- Film dialogue and gender stereotypes
- Film dialogue economy
- Dialogue as a means to increase realism
- Differences between real conversations and dialogue in film
- Philosophy of communication through film
- Teaching and learning communication through film
- Communication in mainstream versus independent cinema
- Miscommunication and misunderstanding in film
- Intercultural and multilingual communication in film
- Mediated communication in film
- Written communication in film
- Non-verbal communication and body language in film
Prof. John Mowitt
Dr. David Sorfa
Guide for Authors
Presentations will be 20 minutes.
Proposals of 200 words and a biographical note of 100 words should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Extended deadline for submission: 31st March 2017
Extended deadline for notification of acceptance: 7th April 2017
Conference date: 5th–6th June 2017
For any enquiries regarding the conference, please contact Evelina Kazakevičiūtė: email@example.com